Get A Free Quote

    Please prove you are human by selecting the Key.

    When you Might Need a EWS1 Form

    The form was originally created to ensure residential buildings over 18 meters tall could be assessed for safety, but recent changes in Government advice has potentially brought all residential buildings within scope depending on the type and extent of cladding, the presence of balconies and the presence of combustible material.

    The EWS1 Form provides an industry standard approach to classifying cladding safety with respect to fire legislation. Following an assessment, your building will fall into one of two categories:

    Option A – This is for buildings where the external wall materials are unlikely to support combustion.

    Option B – This is for buildings where combustible materials are present.
    This means that a higher level of fire expertise is required to undertake a more detailed review.

    Call us on 01223 646725 to check our availability and book your EWS assessment.

    What you need to know

    The term ‘external wall’ refers to all the materials used in the outer skin of a building including any cladding, insulation, facades and passive fire protection systems, i.e. cavity barriers. The EWS1 assessment process involves a qualified and competent professional conducting a fire-risk assessment on the building’s Engineering with Integrity external wall system before signing an EWS1 Form which is valid for the entire building for five years. However, a new assessment may be required within the five-year period if substantial works have been undertaken on a building, which may affect the original conclusions.

    The EWS1 Form must be completed by a fully qualified member of a relevant professional body within the construction industry with sufficient expertise to identify the relevant materials within the external wall cladding and attachments, including whether fire resisting cavity barriers and fire stopping have been installed correctly.

    Beware of unqualified people signing and undertaking external wall assessments and/or signing EWS1 Forms. This could have potentially dangerous consequences for residents and legal implications for the Responsible Person.

    The various routes to obtaining an EWS1 Form are outlined below:

    Why Choose Us

    We have supported hundreds of large and small developers, landlords and private developers in keeping their buildings safe and compliant.

    Vemco’s Professional Memberships and Trade Registrations:
    UK Engineering Council – Membership number: 479398
    MIFireE – Registration Number: 00063872
    MICE – Registration Number: 47200782
    MCABE – Registration Number: 67123747

    Call us now to book an EWS1 Survey


    Free Quote


    20 Years Experience


    Quick Scheduling