What is Highway Design?
Highway design is the process of understanding, designing and developing roads and their supporting infrastructure, from the road surface and earthwork to curve radius and beyond.
During each stage of the road design process and during the construction of new roads, the local highway authority is obliged to carry out check and inspections to ensure work is being carried out to a satisfactory standard and in line with health and safety legislation.
The local highway authority is an organisation that is responsible for operating, administering and maintaining public roads. They have a duty of care to maintaining the safety of road users within the road network.
Highway Consultancy Services
- Site access, layout, servicing and parking design
- Site and development feasibility
- Highway link and junction designs to DMRB standards
- Temporary staffing requirements of a technical nature
- Swept path analysis
- Access layout (including footways)
- Detailed geometric drawings up to the highway barrier
- Geometric drawings with horizontal details up to the highway boundary
- Horizontal alignment – visibility envelopes and vertical visibility envelopes